Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Itty Bitty Cakes

A while ago I decided to skip a month of Tuesdays With Dorie....and 2 years later I am back. What can I say I do not do anything in small measures. But I am back and I feel like it was meant to be since the first thing I get to bake are tiny cakes.  Oh how I love tiny cakes. Tiny oven roasted plum cakes.

So first things this morning I got right down to making these tiny cakes (after getting A off to school..after a walk...after a stop at the coffee shop...and a visit to the beach to drink my morning coffee...but you get the idea). Out came the recipe book and as I read through it I could tell that it was going to be my kind of recipe. I (heart) a recipe that tells me exactly what to do so when I saw the words beat for 30 second, add second egg and beat for 30 more seconds I knew I had met the bossy recipe of my dreams.


Next up preparing the fruit for the itty bitty plum cakes. But do you remember back in 2006 when Pluto was suddenly out of a job? It seemed that the powers that be decided that we had enough plants and Pluto did not make the cut. What is a big ball of space rock to do when it no longer has a job....well I thought I had found the answer! I thought Pluto had reinvented itself into stone fruit only to realize that in fact I was baking with Pluots not Plutos (oh dslyexia why must you rear your ugly head at the most embarassing times?). So anyways I substituted pluots for plum in the itty bitty cakes. What is a Pluots you ask? Well according to Wikipedia is the the offspring of a plum parent and an apricot parent, and yes the website does use the term parent.



Pluots prepared and ready to go (although feeling slightly down to realize that they are the offspring of a plum and an apricot and not a hunk of rock formally know as Pluto but they will get over it).

In go the ingredients.




They get mixed the EXACT PRECISE amount of time because I do not mess with a bossy recipe.


I did not have 12 ramekins and since our new cottage is the size of a child's doll house I could not imagine storing 12 ramekins in my limited space so instead I used these round panettone paper baking wraps and they worked pretty well.



And the paper wrappers made them easy to unmold since I just had to peel off the paper (and of course grab a fork and dig right in).


Maybe it was the fact that I used pluots instead of plums or maybe it was because I used panettone wrappers instead of ramekins but I have to say that despite my overwhelming o.b.s.e.s.s.i.o.n. with tiny cakes I did not adore these. I liked the cake that surrounded the pluot but the slimy fruit in the middle was not that lovely to eat. But despite the yummy cake with a slimy fruit surprise ending I am glad to be back Baking With Julia.

And now the small print:
Oven-Roasted Plum Cakes, p. 255-256
You can check out other people's journey into itty bitty plum cakes here.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I have been taking some leave myself and not baking with the group as frequently.
    I have never heard of a pluot before! You may want to try them with plums as I think those were a little less slimy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back.
    I am still in denial that Pluto is no longer a planet.
    Your pluot version looks delicious. Sorry it didn't quite work out for you in the texture category :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey they look wonderful. Thanks for the education.....had never heard of pluots before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertaining post. Sounds like you had a wonderful day - other than the slimy part..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Sorry you didn't like these too much. Maybe there are pluots on pluto….?

    ReplyDelete